APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED.
Who should apply?
GapSummit will be welcoming applications from Leaders of Tomorrow across all regions of the globe. We are seeking enthusiastic students, post-docs, entrepreneurs and early-stage professionals. Those passionate about discussing the current global bio-economy and the grand challenges biotech will need to solve by 2050 are warmly invited to submit an application.
Applications for GapSummit 2018 will open on the 1st September and the final application round closes at 23:59 GMT on the 30th November 2017.
Please note, there will be a first round of selection for early-bird applications. Early-bird applications close at 23:59 GMT on the 15th October 2017 and offers will be made by the 5th November 2017.
The final deadline for applications will be at 23:59 GMT on the 30th November 2017. Interviews will be conducted between the 1st and 20th December 2017, with final offers made on the 21st December 2017.
Please note: applicants will need to be available at the University of Cambridge, UK from the 15th to 19th April 2018. The GapSummit fully covers accommodation and most meals throughout the GapSummit itself. Travel bursaries are available for applicants, who require financial support.
7 reasons why you should apply
1. Be an ambassador for your country with 100 other Leaders of Tomorrow from around the world.
2. Meet international Leaders of Today, including industry CEOs, biotech investors, policy makers as well as research and world-leading biotech pioneers.
3. Network with potential employers and discover career opportunities with the most influential companies and academic institutes.
4. Identify long term career plans in line with the future trends and opportunities highlighted at the summit.
5. Gain an awareness of the ‘bigger picture’. Discuss the current global bio-economy and the grand challenges to be solved by 2050.
6. Conceptualise and develop ideas to impact society now. Compete in the Voices of Tomorrow global bio-innovation competition and win prizes including mentoring opportunities from partnering companies. The Voices of Tomorrow competition is a business plan competition, which gives you the opportunity to develop an innovative solution to one of the ‘Gaps’. In small groups, you will receive mentorship to come up to develop innovative ideas and the finalists will pitch their ideas in front of an expert panel during the GapSummit.
7. Meet talented peers, dine and enjoy the surroundings of one of the finest universities and leading biotech clusters in the world!
We are seeking candidates who show a passion for resolving the grand challenges in biotechnology through:
1. Engaging with current leaders on the major issues in the bio-economy.
2. Undertaking projects to help resolve some of the biggest gaps in the industry.
Once a candidate has submitted an application, it will be reviewed and candidates may be invited for an online interview. Applications will include a CV submission and the applicant has to express her/his passion for biotech by answering three short questions or submit a video pitch. Please note: the quality and ingenuity of ideas expressed in the answers will inform the selection. Polished formulation and level of English do not influence selection.
To increase your chances of receiving a place, it is strongly encouraged that you participate in the Voices of Tomorrow global bio-innovation competition. If you wish to participate in the GapSummit and the Voices of Tomorrow competition as part of an already established team, groups of up to 4 people are welcome to apply. However, we will require separate applications from each of the group’s members and individual offers will be made to attend the GapSummit on the basis of individual merit. Applications will close on the 30th November 2017 and all final offers will be made by 21st December 2017.
Rewarding a good application
We are pleased to offer guaranteed travel bursaries to the top 5 applications. We will be looking for individuals, who show innovative thinking and creativity in addressing the questions relating to the gaps in the bio-economy.
Sparrho Travel Grants
Sparrho will cover 3x £500 travel grants for selected Leaders of Tomorrow, who share an interest in science communication. Sparrho is a UK-based tech start-up who has built a discovery platform for researchers that combines human and artificial intelligence to keep researchers up-to-date with the science that matters to them. As part of the travel grant, the awarded Leaders of Tomorrow are expected to curate a collection of papers that represent their research, using Sparrho's discovery platform.
For any additional questions about the GapSummit application process please contact Felix Breyer, President.